How can I reduce running costs and my carbon footprint?
When investing in an air conditioning system, it is important to consider running and maintenance costs, as well as the initial purchase price of the system.
Energy use, and therefore running and maintenance costs, can be minimised by:
- Buying an energy efficient system that is the right size for your space.
- Having a correctly installed system in the right location in your home.
- Improving the energy efficiency of your home (e.g. wall and ceiling insulation, draught-proofing windows and doors, tinting windows, outdoor shading of windows).
- Using the air conditioner efficiently: Set the temperature at 18-20 degrees Celsius in winter and 25-27 degrees Celsius in summer. Check this after the air conditioner has been on for 30 minutes. If a hot day is expected, turn the air conditioner on before the building gets hot. Use the adjustable louvers – point them to the ceiling when cooling, and to the floor when heating. Close curtains on hot days (if refrigerated).
- Having your air conditioner professionally maintained.